Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How I Tricked Adam into Marrying Me

Today is my sweetheart's 26th birthday, so what better way to spend a blog post than looking back at how we got to where we are today?

Its pretty long, so I will break it up over a few posts, deal?

Part One

It was early 2006 and I was a junior in high school. I had a friend named Lucy who was in band with me, and I thought her brother was so gorgeous. And that butt. Don't get me started. I always joked around with Lucy about her brother, and she would relay things he said about me like, "She is so sweet" or worse, "She is cute." He was two years older than me, so I knew 'cute' meant cute like a kindergartener. I knew I would never stand a chance with a guy that looked like that, but it was always fun to joke with Lucy. When I met her parents before a band competition, I acted like a typical high schooler and flirted with her dad, and was overly energetic and enthusiastic about meeting them. I half jokingly asked if Adam (Lucy's brother) had broken up with his long time girlfriend yet so we could get married because I would be a great daughter-in-law. Bold huh?

   Around Christmas that year, Lucy ended up being very sick and had to have surgery. I made Lucy a card and drew some awesome stick figures on it and added, "p.s. I would make a great addition to your family..." just to gross her out. ;) A couple of weeks passed, and I got a Myspace friend request from Adam Massey. I could have died right then. He only had two friends at the time, Lucy and I. That was a good sign, right? This boy was new to Myspace and I was one of the first people on his mind? Big deal in 2006, y'all. I got a message from him saying, "So I hear you think you would make a good addition to the family, huh?" I could have killed Lucy. We exchanged little flirtatious messages, but at the time we both were in 'relationships' with other people. He gave me his number, but I said I was a lady and if he was interested in talking to me, he would have to call because I am old fashioned. I think this was where he started getting tricked. haha! Men love that hard-to-get stuff. He texted my Mom's phone once while I was at church with my boyfriend and asked if I wanted to see a movie some time. I literally didn't even know how to text him back on my Mom's super awesome Cricket phone with an antenna.

   He broke up with his girlfriend somewhere along the way for good, and we would occasionally email each other. Good ole Lucy made a pact with him behind my back, that if things didn't work out with this skanky girl from Bilo, that he would take me on a date for real. Maybe I shouldn't call that redheaded skanky girl a skank, but it is my blog, and I'm calling it like I see it! Anyway, he saw me at a combined chorus and band concert I was in and talked to me. He hadn't responded to my last email, so I was a little short with him and focused my attention on his parents. I threw in a comment about him not messaging me back, and walked to my car.

    My Mom informed me when I got home that night, that a boy named Adam had called while I was gone. Later, Adam told me that my Mom was like, " No, Reshae is not here because she is out on a DATE with her BOYFRIEND!" That is one thing I regret about our relationship. I should have been honest with my old boyfriend about Adam and broke things off a long time ago, but I really didn't think Adam would ever be my boyfriend one day, let alone my husband! But still, it ruined my witness as a Christian and I lost a lot of friends because of 'cheating' on my boyfriend, so I regret the way I handled that for sure. But I was 18. You live, you learn!

    I was kinda unhappy at this point in my life because of some issues at home and with my "friends" and I started losing a lot of weight from all my anxiety. I started walking 6 miles a day with my friend Lindsay and going to the tanning bed. I felt like crap on the inside, but my outside was actually starting to look like something I felt confident in. I emailed Adam and said he should meet us at the track and walk with us that night after church. I will never forget how I felt when I saw this handsome guy in a red Georgia hat sitting on the tailgate of his truck with his feet dangling. I knew I was in trouble right then. We walked around the track for a while, and I had to say 'huh?' Probably 117 times in those 3 miles we walked. Adam used to be the worst mumbler ever. But I sure did think it was cute. He was so easy to talk to and he had the same sense of humor as me. Lindsay and I went to sit down for a minute, and we of course had to girl talk about him. "So what do you think Linds?" "I can't really hear what he's saying but does it really matter when he looks like that?!" Lindsay said. Haha! We hugged goodbye and he didn't hug me in a way I was used to at all. His hands were almost too low on my back and I probably snuggled a little too close. He smelled really good. I blushed all the way home. :)

To be continued! Kudos if you made it through this part.

2 comments:

  1. hehe too cute reshae you should add the widget so i can follow you home girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how to add a widget! Haha! Message me and tell me and I will.

    ReplyDelete